Forget Basketball. Chess, Anyone? 

IISJ hosts several opportunities for students to get out of their comfort zone and stretch their imagination and capability. After-school clubs are one such opportunity and they run the gamut from academics to art.  

Chess Club, Grades 1-5, Mondays, 3:00pm-4:00pm, ¥3,000/month

Chess is not just a play of black and white pieces but an unseen war between two players actively plotting to defeat their foe while defending their King. IISJ teacher Mr. Shantanu Laskar, an experienced chess player, trains his students on the accuracy, speed, and more importantly, strategy. Students learn there’s more to the game than winning or losing. 

Drawing Club, Grade 1 and Up, Mondays/Thursdays, (KG Fridays only), 3:00pm-4:00pm, ¥2,000/month

Want to learn about color, composition, texture, and shade? Then the Drawing Club is for you. Led by Ms. Khyati Brahmbhatt, the Drawing Club uses simple, everyday art tools like charcoal pencils to oil paints to create extravagant works of art. 

History Bowl, Grade 7 and Up, Tuesdays, 4:00pm-5:00pm, ¥2,000/month

A perennial favorite, the History Bowl Club teaches and tests students on times gone by. Think you know it all? Let’s see:

During peacetime, the U.S. gunboat Panay was bombed by this country. Its actions were criticized by the U.S. in the Stimson Doctrine. Camps such as Heart Mountain and Manzanar housed emigrants from this country during the 1940s. Name this country that fought against the US in the Pacific theater of World War II.

Or how about What civilization would you have been in, if in the year 470 BC, you were traveling from Sardis to Susa on the Royal Road, and then stopped to worship Ahura Mazda at a temple that had been built by King Xerxes?

History Bowl Club is led by Mrs. Joginder Kaur and Mr. Mark Rosauer. Oh, and the team often travels abroad for tournaments!

(Answers: Japan and the Persian Empire.) 

If any of these Clubs interest you, contact the IISJ School Office or the teachers for further information. You just might surprise yourself!